EXCLUSIVE: UEFA is in urgent talks about taking a stand against the racist abuse targeting Real Madrid’s Vinicius Junior… despite reluctance to act amid feeling it is an internal issue for Spain
- UEFA held discussions about how to respond to the racist abuse of Vinicius Jr
- Real Madrid were targeted by Valencia fans on Sunday
- UEFA is in talks about taking a stand against it
UEFA has held urgent talks about taking a public stand against the disgusting racist abuse of Real Madrid striker Vinicius Junior.
As of Tuesday night, despite internal calls to do so, there has been a reluctance on the part of European football’s governing body to intervene publicly in a matter that has shocked the world in recent days.
Given the escalating nature of the situation, their position may change in the coming days as they decide whether to strengthen their anti-discrimination stance after internal talks.
The feeling on Tuesday was that it was an internal issue for Spanish football.
UEFA has a strong anti-discrimination policy and has a number of initiatives to combat the misuse of discriminatory behavior in football.
UEFA has held urgent talks about taking a public stand against the racist abuse of Real Madrid striker Vinicius Junior (right).
But the organization is often cautious in commenting on such matters that occur in individual European championships.
Meanwhile, Vinicius Junior coach Carlo Ancelotti believes the South American will stay at Real Madrid even though the player hints he is open to leaving the club after two years of racist abuse.
Vinicius said he will not back down in his fight against racism even if he has to go so far to continue his fight.
But when asked if the 22-year-old was considering leaving Madrid, Ancelotti said: “I don’t think so. He loves Real Madrid.
A lot of things have gone through his head but I don’t think he’s in his mind to leave. His love for the club is very big and he wants to make his career here.
Vinicius did not train on Tuesday as Ancelotti told reporters he had a slight knee problem and did not need to risk injury with a one or two match ban due to start due to a red card against Valencia on Sunday.